Tteokbokki (떡볶이), AKA, Korean spicy rice cakes which is one of the most popular Korean street food in Korea. Ingredients are simple and it is delicious! Yumyum. Personality I love it so much, it is my favourite Korean food. Especially the combination of the sauce with gochujang (Korean chili paste) and the chewy texture of the rice cakes, just cannot resist it.
There was one time I was running out of Korean stock, I ended up replaced with vegetable stock. It turns out not bad, the taste is pretty similar. For people who don’t want to buy a Korean stock or being lazy to cook one, I would suggest you can put up with vegetable stock if you are dying and craving for a dish of hot tteokbokki.
- If you skip the soaking process for the rice cake, you might end up with unpleasant chewing texture. So do not skip it, it is an important step.
Ingredients (Serve 1)
- 200g Korean Rice cake
- 1 strip Fish cake
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1 tsp Gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
- 300ml Ultimate Korean stock (Korean anchovy stock)
- 1tsp Corn starch
- 1tbsp Water
- White sesame seeds (optional)
- Green onions (optional)
- Soak the rice cake with water for approximated 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the stock, gochujang, gochugaru, sugar, and soy sauce into a pan. Bring it to boil over medium heat.
- Drain and add the rice cakes into the sauce, cook for about 4-6 minutes, and stir it occasionally.
- Cut the fish cake into bite size and add into the pan to cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine the corn starch and water, mix well.
- Stir the corn starch water into the pan immediately, keep stirring till the sauce is thicken. This won’t take too long, approximately 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, serve immediately and add some white sesame seeds, and sliced green onions on top. Enjoy.