Sushi is made by prepared vinegared rice (鮨飯) with various toppings and/ or fillings such as raw fish, cooked meat and seafood, vegetable and fruits. There are lots of different types of sushi such as Makizushi (巻き寿司, “rolled sushi”), Temaki (手巻, “hand roll”), Nigirizushi (握り寿司, “hand-pressed sushi”), Narezushi (熟れ寿司, “matured sushi”) and so on. And today I would like to introduce teriyaki beef futomaki. But first what it futomaki?
Futomaki (太巻, “thick, large or fat rolls”) is a type of Makizushi with a large piece of sushi that usually with nori on the outside and combines with two to three or more fillings. A typical futomaki is around 5-6 cm. I guess that’s the reason it deserves the name “fat rolls”. Back to my favourite teriyaki beef futomaki, apart from rice and teriyaki beef, I usually filled with curl leaf lettuce, takuan (daikon radish) and slice of cucumber. Sometime I will use tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette) instead of takuan. But of cause the choose of fillings are entirely up to you. Let’s make some yummy rolls!!!
Ingredients: (6-8 pieces/ 1 roll)
- 100g Beef slice
- 2 Cure leave/ Salad vegetable
- 1/8 Cucumber (horizontal cut to a long strip)
- 1 Nori sheet
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 1/8 Daikon radish/ Tamagayaki (horizontal cut to a long strip)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbspMiri
- 2 tbsp Sake
- Add all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, continuously stir the sauce until it is thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add a teaspoon of oil on a pan over medium heat, add the beef slices to cook.
- Add the sauce to the beef when it is halfway cooked.
- When it is done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the nori on a bamboo met and spread the cooked rice on top of the nori sheet.
- Place the lettuce, beef slices, cucumber slice, tamagoyaki and/ or danko on top of the rice. Roll it up and roll tightly to the end. A long tube should be formed.
- Slice it into pieces. Enjoy.