Whole grain porridge is one of my favourite healthy breakfast. You can create your porridge with any kind of wholegrain that you like such as quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, etc. Once you choose your grains, you’re ready to add some flavours to the bowl. There are several toppings and flavour combinations that I would recommend (if you are out of ideas, why not give it a try~).
- Apple pie (mix-in: cinnamon powder; topping: apple slices)
- Pumpkin pie (mix-in: pumpkin puree & pumpkin pie spice ; topping: pumpkin puree, cinnamon powder & maple syrup/ sugar)
- Caco & Avocado slices (mix-in: caco powder; topping: avocado slices, dusted extra caco powder)
- Creamy banana (mix-in: greek yogurt; topping: banana slices)
I know porridge is normally serve in warm, but I found out when you chill in the fridge for awhile before you serve actually taste pretty good, ideal for the hot summer time.
Some writers may just soak all the grains with water for at least half of the day. That is absolutely fine. It’s just me (hmm…no patient at all) that unable to wait overnight, so I prefer cooked the grains rather than soak it with water.
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- 1tbsp Chai seeds
- 1/4 Cup Cooked quinoa (mixture with red and black quinoa)
- 1/4 Cup Cooked pearl barley
- 1 Cup Milk/ Water/ Alternative milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Milk/ Water/ Alternative milk for later on
- Prepare a big bowl or a jar about 500ml large.
- Add all the ingredients in the container and stir well.
- Leave the container in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until all the liquid is soaked up.
- Serve as cold or warm. To serve as warm porridge, add extra 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid to the porridge and stir well before reheat it via microwave for 1-2 minutes. Topped with yogurt before you serve in both warm and cold porridge. Enjoy.