Satay is one of the iconic famous appetiser and street food in Thailand that served with mild spicy and sweet peanut sauce. Thai satay have various recipes, from chicken, beef, and pork, to vegetarian variants that employ soy protein strips or tofu – then skewered and grilled or broiled in the oven. Personally prefer grilled over the charcoals and let the charcoal aroma blend into the skewers.
To assemble the skewers in a traditional way, thread each chicken breast strip in “Z” shape onto bamboo skewer, and lay it flat on a lightly oiled tray. Fun facts that satay is actually came to Thailand via Indonesia!!!
Ingredients: (Serve 3-4 people)
- 500g Chicken breast
- A pack of bamboo skewers
- 5 tbsp Peanut butter
- 1 Lime juice
- 1 Lime zest (use Kaffir lime if you can get one)
- 1 Mild curry powder
- Small piece of ginger
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (optional)
Peanut butter dipping sauce:
- 3 tbsp Marinade sauce from above
- 150ml Coconut milk
- Marinade sauce. Peel the ginger, garlic and lime zest. Halve the lime and get the juice out, then mix it in a bowl with the honey, soy sauce, curry powder and peanut butter. Adding a small splash of water if it’s too stiff.
- Mix the chicken with the marinade sauce. Cut the chicken into strips about 3-5 mm thick and place it into a zipping bag.
- Spoon out 3 tbsp of the marinade sauce and set aside. Add the rest of the marinade sauce in a zipping bag, then stir well and make sure each chicken strip is covered with the sauce.
- Place the marinade chicken strips into the fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Peanut butter dipping sauce. While the chicken is marinating, pour the coconut milk and reserved marinade sauce into the pan over medium heat, and stir well.
- Cooked for about 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is thicken.
- Sew the skewers. Thread each chicken breast strip in “Z” shape onto bamboo skewer, and lay it flat on a lightly oiled tray.
- Cook. Gently brush or spray the grill pan. Heat the grill over medium high heat, line the skewers on top of the grill and grill about 10 minutes or until it is fully cooked. Turn the skewers occasionally to ensure the skewers are cooked evenly.
- Once it’s cooked, serve hot with peanut butter dipping sauce. Enjoy.